Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cats Out of the Bag-Taco Soup & Applesauce Cornbread

I loved the idea of doing "What's for Dinner Wednesdays", but it is totally revealing my weakness in the kitchen!! I am the only one who has not posted, but it is probably because my usual recipes are as follows:

Tuna Helper-Alfredo & Broccoli (with a bag of frozen broc & cauli)
Rotisserie Chicken From Costco (Fully-cooked), Instant Mashed Potatoes, & Green Beans
Pizza (Either Papa Johns, Domino's, or Costco)
Hot Dogs, or Chili Dogs
Breakfast for Dinner
Chinese Food in Can with Instant Rice (I know it sounds TOTALLY GROSS, but we LOVE IT)
Corn Dogs & French Fries

Value Menu or "cheap stuff" from any of the following spots:
-Taco Bell
-Wendy's
-Sonic
-KFC
-A&W

So yes, the cats out of the bag on me!! Now don't get me wrong, I do cook...it just isn't as authentic as I would like it to be. Plus I always want to have a cute pic of the meal to post with it's recipe, but I never have one. All excuses aside, here is a recipe I love & fall back on often.

TACO SOUP

1 lb Chicken or Ground Beef
1 pkg Taco Seasoning
2 cans Corn Undrained
2 cans Diced Tomatoes Undrained
2 cans Kidney Beans
2 cans Pinto Beans
1 cup water

Toppings
Cheese
Sour Cream
Corn Chips

Cook Chicken or ground beef with one cup of water and taco seasoning. Once cooked shred the chicken & add all other ingredients. Cook for about 20 minutes & serve with cheese, sour cream, and corn chips.


I love making this & can do it in a slow cooker ahead of time if I need to. I also like to have cornbread with it & tried this recipe for the first time on Sunday. I didn't know if I liked it at first, but all 4 of the missionaries, Matt, & the girls LOVED it!!

Applesauce Cornbread

4 C flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 C cornmeal
3 eggs
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter or margarine
3/4 C applesauce
2 2/3 C water

Cream eggs, sugar, and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add applesauce. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add alternately to creamed mixture with the water. Pour into large flat pan (large cookie sheet) Bake at 350* for 25 minutes. It will not be as dark as normal cornbread when it's done.

Ok Ladies...ENJOY!!


PS-We are on our way out the door, so I'll update our fun soon!! You guys have fun & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

2 comments:

Brittney said...

I make that taco soup all the time, but instead of 2 cans of kidney and 2 pinto, I do 1 kidney, 1 garbonzo, 1 black bean. And I use frozen corn, but only like a cup or so.

It's so yummy huh????

Shantell said...

LOL! Les you are too funny! That soups sound mmm mmm good! I'm so glad you posted a reciepe :)